CT DEP General Permits
For industrial/commercial discharges to the GNHWPCA system a permit is required from the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection. Follow the link below to the CT DEP website to determine the permit needed based on the category of wastewater needed to be discharged. Complete the permit application form with all required data and submit to the GNHWPCA for the POTW sign-off. The permit application may then be forwarded to CT DEP for approval and registration.
Connection / Demolition Process
To apply for a sewer connection or demolition permit, the contractor shall provide a copy of the proposed set of plans to be reviewed by the GNHWPCA along with a copy of Contractor/Plumbers License and approved application for permit in the municipality where the work is proposed. The contractor shall then follow this procedure:
- Present copies of the required documents to the Greater New Haven Water Pollution Control Authority’s (GNHWPCA) Superintendent of Sewers. Provide the Superintendent of Sewers with a sanitary sewer connection/demolition permit fee in the amount reflected on the attached sheet, payable to the "Greater New Haven WPCA." The Superintendent is available for Permits Monday through Friday 8 AM to 11 AM on the 1st floor of the Greater New Haven Water Pollution Abatement Facility located at 345 East Shore Parkway, New Haven. The Superintendent will provide the Permittee with a copy of a sewer map identifying existing sanitary sewer lateral connections and review the proposed sewer connection.
Call the GNHWPCA at 203.466.5263 to schedule an inspection of the sanitary sewer connection at least 24-hours prior to starting excavation. The GNHWPCA’s Superintendent must inspect the connection/disconnection prior to the Permittee backfilling the excavation. Inspections are scheduled Monday through Friday 11 AM to 4 PM by appointment only.
At the time of inspection, the Superintendent will verify that your connection matches all approved plans for which the permit was issued. At the time of the inspection, the Permittee shall also furnish a scaled drawing detailing the connection. At a minimum, the drawing shall include the following:
- Sanitary sewer lateral pipe size and material of construction
- Type of connection made (e.g., core and boot, chimney, etc.)
- Distance of hub connection from nearest sanitary sewer manhole measured along the main line sanitary sewer
- Triangulated ties off foundation for cleanouts, bends or changes in direction
- Depth of the sanitary sewer lateral invert at the hub connection and the curb line
- Clock diagram cross section depicting the lateral entrance to the main
- Depth of lateral at foundation or at points requested by Superintendent
- Plumber’s or contractor’s name and license number
- Connection date/time
- For demolitions, location of sewer plug
The Superintendent of Sewers can request additional information be incorporated into the drawing to provide clarity. At the time of the inspection, the Permit Applicant shall also furnish a complete copy of the Sanitary Sewer Lateral Connection/Demolition As-Built Form.
Upon approval of the connection, and completed as-built form the GNHWPCA’s Superintendents Office will make approved copies of the permit available per request. One copy will be retained by the Permitee and the other by the GNHWPCA.
**ALL CONTRACTORS ARE URGED TO FAMILIARIZE THEMSELVES WITH THE ABOVE PROCEDURE AND MATERIALS CONTAINED IN THIS PERMIT PACKAGE. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.**
(View Example Permit Here)
FOR SEWER MAPS OR QUESTIONS ABOUT EXISTING OR NEW SERVICE CONNECTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT US AT email@example.com